We are very proud that Allister has chosen our motorcycle phone mount for his Blood Bike.
We’re very proud to share what is, to our knowledge, a first YouTube review of our product and a good one at that.
Phill has actually made 2 other videos showing the unpacking of the goods:
Thanks Phill, this is awesome!
The TR Team.
The Twisty Ride waterproof motorcycle charger is built to Apple’s specifications for iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S, 5, 5S, 5C and 6 and Samsung’s specifications for the Galaxy S5. This means that it outputs a current of 5V 1A, which is what the Apple and Samsung chargers also output.
With this in mind, it is possible for an application to consume more than what the charger pushes out leading to the battery slowly depleting despite the charger being plugged in. The flashlight application is one such example and some GPS applications fall into that category too.
Unfortunately Twisty Ride has no control over applications written for the iPhone and therefore cannot guarantee that your favorite app does not over-strain the battery / charger. The section below list out the Good Apps which, if used when riding, will still allow the charger to top the phone’s battery up, and the Bad Apps which drain more than the charger’s output.
- Motion X (Apple): Free GPS application, can load and display the output of Twisty Ride’s Journey Planner.
- BackCountry Navigator (Android): Free GPS application, can load and display the output of Twisty Ride’s Journey Planner.
- TomTom GPS Navigation Traffic (Apple & Android): Navigation software. The Power Save setting must be enabled to allow it to charge on 1A.
- Google Maps / Nav (Apple & Android): Free navigation software. It is not possible to load GPX files as far as we know and the app needs to be connected to the data network.
- CoPilot GPS Navigation App (Apple & Android): Navigation software. We’ve had mixed results with this app. It has been tested on a one week trip in Germany with an iPhone 5 and everything went well, phone charged from 15% to 100% in a matter of hours. But the iPhone 6 requires a 2A input current to operate it.
Drop us a line at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have information about an app or want to know how a specific app will perform.
Quick post to say that our Motorcycle Journey Planner has just been updated. Among a number of required technical upgrades, we have one absolutely awesome new feature: the ability to export your trip into a proper, fully detailed GPX file.
You can now use our engine and display your journey onto a wide variety of apps on your mobile phone or computer. Our favorites (more on why we choose them in this post):
- Backcountry Navigator Pro for Android phones and tablets
- MotionX GPS for Apple phones and tablets (don’t forget to use the “display all recorded tracks option” as our file contains multiple tracks).
Quick post to say that we’ve been notified that TomTom have now released an App update with a power save feature that has the instruction “enable if you are NOT using a 2.1A charger to prevent battery discharge”. This option must be enabled with our current charger as it produces a 1 Amp output.
This gallery contains 6 photos.
The first batch arrived! We thought we’d share our production pictures.
Our new Twisty Ride iPhone 6 and Samsung S5 cases are on their way! You will see below the pictures of our 3D printed prototype. We’ve been working hard on this one here are some of the highlights:
- We remain the only case that is certified IP55 waterproof when the charging cable is plugged in (and without too but that’s easy). Good for high speed riding in heavy weather, or even sailing for that matter.
- The screen and lens material now comes from 3M and presents higher resistance to scratches as well as greater clarity than our previous models (and most of the competition too).
- Whilst the iPhone 6 is noticeably larger than the iPhone 5, the overall case dimensions have been kept roughly the same as with our iPhone 5 model thanks to a completely redesigned bottom end.
- We now have a headphone socket for the iPhone 6 (although your headphones’ connector must be the same size as the standard Apple connector).
- The case will also be available with for the Samsung S5.
- Our new charger will be based on a standard USB connector (but modified to be waterproof) to allow other components to be charged.
Production should complete in Feb 2016, in time for the riding season. (or sailing). Stay tuned!